AREA DE PROTECCIÓN PATRIMONIAL ANTIGUO PUERTO MADERO
The warehouses, prototypes of turn-of-the-century English utilitarian architecture, were built between 1900 and 1905. These solid structures came in pieces from England and were assembled in situ. Placed at regular intervals along the narrow docks, the buildings gave the port area a singular identity, with red brick façades, arched galleries and doorways. The use of industrial materials Duch as iron, glass, and brick was characteristic of the epoch´s functional architecture. In 1991, the City Council approved a project to protect historical patrimony which included the sixteen buildings. The legislation called for the preservation of the warehouses that lines the dock,
along with all the other architectural elements existing in the port area. Strict conditions were imponed on recycling projects: façades and all original materials had to be respected, in line with the goal of maintaining thé area´s historical carácter. Materials and elements from the old port were used in designing the waterfront promenade and other pedestrian accesses, as well as the docks themselves. Paving stones and railway sleepers were salvaged and incorporated into the landscaping. Strategically-located old cranes were painted and illuminated, evoking the atmosphere of the old port.
® CORPORACIÓN ANTIGUO PUERTO MADERO S.A. Todos los derechos reservados
Olga Cossettini 731, 2° Piso, C1107BVA - Puerto Madero Este, Buenos Aires, Argentina - Tel: 54-11-4515-4600 - email@example.com